Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Scooby Doo as a methaphor for life



So my children (especially my 2 1/2 year old daughter) are obsessed with watching Scooby Doo.  I happen to love watching the old ones from back in the 70's when I was kid with them so it's a win win.  Which is not always the case because I get sick of watching some of these crappy new cartoons (can you say rhymes with bunge mob?).  Anyway as we sat watching Shaggy Scooby Doo as my daughter calls it, I started to wonder what the appeal is to my kids.  Because let's be honest the animation on the originals is terrible, they have really d list stars (of which my kids will NEVER know ... hello Jerry Reed????), the music sucks (hellooooo Jerry Reed), and the same crap/plots happens to the gang over and over again.  I mean they can watch cartoons with much, much better animation and plots but yet they ask over and over again for Scooby Doo.  So while I was watching yet another episode of Tivoed Scooby Doo with my kids I started to think about why they love it so much.  First off I think (OK I KNOW) they love Shaggy and Scooby the best.  I think it's because they can relate to them the most.  Shag & Scoob love to eat and eat everything in sight.  I know my kids would do the same if I allowed them too.  There are meals when one or the other or even both eat more than myself or my husband.  It's kinda amazing actually.  So they see Shaggy and Scooby doing what they want to!  Plus Shaggy and Scooby are just big chickens.  They are scared of everything and show it.  They aren't afraid to say that ghost (or whatever) scares me get me outta here!!!  I can so understand why this would be appealing to them.  I mean how many people in their lives fess up to being scared by things the they are??  And this brings me to the other reason I think they love Scooby Doo.  All the scary monsters/ghosts/witches/robots/animals/aliens/etc. are really just stupid adults who get caught by a bunch of KIDS.  It lets them see that all those scary things that they genuinely think are scary are again just stupid adults in bad costumes who get busted by a bunch of lousy, meddling kids and their dog.

blog comments powered by Disqus