Pages

Monday, August 19, 2013

Movie Monday - Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters

Last week was my son's 10th birthday.  How in the world do I have a 10 year old??? I can't believe I've been doing this parent thing for a decade now.  OK back to the point of movie Monday.  My son loves the Percy Jackson novels by Rick Riordan.  We've read them all in my house and seen the first movie installment a few times.  So for his birthday we went to see the 2nd movie installment Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters.



Percy Jackson played by is a demigod, meaning he's the son of a mortal and Poseidon the God of the sea.  He finds this out in the first book/movie.  He attends Camp Half Blood a magical camp that trains him and all the other demigods.  The tree that protects the camp is dying because the bad guys (Luke introduced in the first book/movie) poisoned it.  The head of Camp Half Blood Mr. D played by sends some campers on a quest to retrieve the golden fleece of legend because it will heal the tree and save the camp.  Percy is not picked for quest but feels like he must go so he and his friends Annabeth played by , Grover played by and his half brother cyclops Tyson played by head out to the Bermuda Triangle to find the golden fleece in the Sea of Monsters.

I love the Percy Jackson books.  I've read them to my son and I've ready them myself just for fun.  They are great books! They are funny and action packed and you learn all about the Greek gods.  As much as I love the books, I hate the movies.  They do not follow the books at all.  I understand sometimes they can't fit everything in and I get that.  But it seems like the script writers wrote down all the plot points then just threw them out the window.  I also had some issues with the actors they choose for certain characters.  Tyson is not big enough and well Clarisse is waaayyy to pretty in the movie.  I also have to say that I got bored at the end of the movie.  The plot was so different and stupid that I got bored.  Maybe if you've never read the books you might like it.  But I doubt it.  Now I have to say my son loved it.  But he loved Paul Blart Mall Cop too so take that as you will.  I am giving Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters 1 pop corn bucket out of 5.

blog comments powered by Disqus