Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

Confessions of the Day 17

OK I am going to admit this in hopes that someone out there has either done this themselves or will do it one day when they become a parent.  Plus I am sure you will all get a laugh out of it.  My daughter who is not quite 2 1/2 uses a pacifier for nap (when she actually naps) and at night.  Well when she started getting teeth in she started chewing on the paci (as we call them) at night to help relieve the teething pain.  So they would get holes or cracks and we would have to throw them away.  We were pretty much down one.  I was thinking about just letting her go cold turkey when the last one disappeared (as they sometimes do like socks) or got a hole.  But maybe because she's my last baby or because we didn't make her brother get rid of the paci until 3,  I decided to let her keep them and my husband got 2 new ones at the store yesterday.  Well you are supposed to boil the pacifiers (or bottles/nipples etc.) for 5 mins. to sterilize them before use.  So yesterday afternoon I put a pot on to boil and threw the new pacifiers in.  Well life happens and I got busy doing something and totally forgot about them.  I was in the bathroom downstairs when all of a sudden I smell something burning.  I think to myself what is burning??  Then like lightning it strikes me.  OH GOD THE PACIFIERS!!!!!!!!  I run into the kitchen to see and smell a smoking pot on the stove.  The pacifiers are melted down to the silicone nipples.  The plastic has now burned off onto the pot and filling the air with nasty smelling thick smoke.  Yes I let the water boil completely out and then melt down the pacifiers.  Well my 6 year old son comes out from the playroom and starts going on and on about how bad it smells and how he can't see and why didn't the smoke detectors go off (which I am wondering too) and we need to check all the smoke detectors in the house etc, etc....  Meanwhile I am opening all the windows in the house running the fan over the stove and calling myself a friggin dumbass.  My daughter in all of this who already was excited about the new pacis is yelling "Pacis FIRE!"  "Pacis FIRE!" over and over and over.  The smoke is so bad I decide we need to leave and well we now need more pacifiers so we head to the store.  And yes she kept up the "Pacis FIRE!" bit all the way to the store and in the store.....

And this is for Angela over at Craving Cupcakes .  It's my Mom's Pudding recipe.  I have to say it is one of my all time favorite desserts.  Plus I love when it's still warm from the stove .... mmmm.  If I had time today I would make some.  Oh and the other nice thing is you can make more healthy by using skim milk and/or splenda instead of sugar.


Pudding

Ingredients

    2    cup    Milk
    1/2    cup    Sugar
    1/4    tsp    Salt
    3 1/2    tbsp    Corn Starch
    2    lg    Egg -- separate use yolk only
    1    tsp    Vanilla Extract
    1    tbsp    Butter

Instructions

Mix together milk, sugar, salt, corn starch and egg yolks.  Bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly.  When the mixture reaches a boil, remove it from heat and add vanilla and butter.

For CHOCOLATE add during cooking:
3 Tbsp. more sugar
2 Tbsp.  cocoa

For BUTTERSCOTCH use 1/2 cup brown sugar instead of white.

 For meringue beat 2 Tbsp. sugar for each egg.  Add 4-6 drops of vanilla per egg.  To brown meringue, bake in 350 oven for 10-12 mins.



And for the good news!!!  I am leaving today to head to Norfolk, VA to get on a cruise ship bound for Bermuda!!!!!!!!!!  My two good friends and I are going on a scrapbooking cruise.  Not that I will be doing a ton of scrapbooking but I will do some.  And no my hubby and children are not going.  It's just a girls vacation.  I have never done a long vacation with friends so this should be fun and interesting!  So if I don't post while I am gone you know why.  I am going to try though.  But don't hold your breath!

blog comments powered by Disqus