Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Ten on Tuesday

1.  If you could travel back in time, would you?  What decade would you visit?
Of course I would! Are you kidding if I had a shot at time travel I would do it in a second.  Now where in time would I go.  That's a hard one.  First decade off the top of my head is the 50's because of the music and the fashion.

2. What was your best Halloween costume?  (fun to make? most creative?)
Well as a child one of my most favorites was a princess costume my mom made.  It was actually a flower girl dress for my mom's cousin's wedding I was in but she also made a pointy princess hat out of the same fabric for Halloween.  I LOVED that dress!  A few years ago I had to come up with a costume quick and I came up with Hermione Granger from Harry Potter. 



It was all made with stuff from my house.  I used  an old graduation robe and I found a piece of jewelery that kind of looked like the time turner.  I printed out the Griffendor crest and pined it to the robe and teased my hair (it's long and brownish like hers).  We even happened to have a Harry wand my son used for dress up.  So not a bad costume for stuff around the house!

3. Do you like your name?  If you weren’t called by your name, what would you want to be called?
I like my name.  I went through a period in 5th or 6th grade when I hated my name and wanted to be named Lisa Ramsey.  Don't ask me why I just thought that was a great name.  But now I love my name.  My full name is Katherine and there aren't a whole lot of Katherines around (spelled the right way too).  Plus I like it because I go by Katie too.  But don't ever call me Kat or Kath or any other shorted variation other than Katie.

4. In the past year, what is the BEST recipe you made.  Please share it!
Not sure when I first made this recipe but it's a fairly recent addition to my favorites.  Everyone in my family loves it even the kids and it's easy to make.  It's pretty healthy too.

Barley, black bean and corn burritos

Ingredients

    15    oz    Beans, Black -- 15 oz. rinsed and drained
    10    oz    Tomatoes W/Green Chilies, Canned -- 10 oz. undrained
    1    cup    Barley (quick cook kind)
    2     cups    Vegetable Broth
    3/4    cup    Corn, Frozen
    2    oz    Scallions -- 1/4 cup chopped
    1    tbsp    Lime Juice -- fresh
    1    tsp    Cumin  
    1    tsp    Chili Powder
    10    oz    Chicken -- cooked (optional)
    1    clove    Garlic -- minced
    1/4    cup    Cilantro -- chopped (optional topping)
    8    oz    Cheese, Cheddar -- shredded (optional topping)
    4    oz    Salsa -- (optional topping)
    1    head    Lettuce, Butterhead -- (optional topping)
    4    oz    Sour Cream, Fat Free -- (optional topping)
           

Instructions

Put first 11 ingredients into pot, stir and cook according to the barley directions  When mixture is done fill tortillas with desired amount then add cilantro, sour cream, cheese and or salsa.


Exported from A Cook's Books -- Recipe management for Macintosh

5. Look around – what is the nearest object or picture hanging on the wall?
The nearest object is my Tivo remote.  The nearest picture is a print of one of Henri Matisse's cut outs called Nuit de Noel.


 
6. What was the last movie you saw in a theater?  Would you recommend it?
I took my son to see How to Train your Dragon last Friday with a friend and her kids.  It was a great movie!  I wasn't expecting much because kids movies are not always entertaining for adults.  But this one was funny and visually amazing and even made me get a little teary.


7. Did you go to summer camp?  Will you/do you send your kids to camp?
I did go to summer camp.  I was raised by a single mother who had to work so my brother and I were always at some summer camp every summer.  We mostly did local day camps but we also did a sleep away camp once.  It was a good experience and I will most likely send my kids to camp too at some point.  But hopefully we won't have to send them all the time we had to.

8. What kind of ringtone do you have?
Well since I refuse to pay for ringtones I am using what ever ringtone on my phone I like.  But I have a different ringtone for different people so I know who is calling before I look at the phone.

9. Where is the farthest away from home you have ever been?
The farthest east I have been is Salzburg, Austria and the farthest west I have been is Fanning Island in the Republic of Kiribati.

10. Has anyone ever written a song or a poem for or about you?
Yes my first boyfriend Tracy wrote me a poem while I was in Colorado visiting family.  It was very sweet.  I also had a boyfriend draw a picture of me which was nice too.

blog comments powered by Disqus