Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Ten on Tuesday






1. What do you do for a living?
In reality I have 3 jobs.  Teacher, artist and mom.  I love all three dearly.  At my teaching job I teach adults with mental retardation or traumatic brain injury.  My class focuses on basic skills and life skills. It's under 30 hours a week so I also still have a few days home being mom too.  And on top of that I have an Etsy shop.  Business has been good lately and has been taking up more of my time.  But that's great news.  In fact I want more so go by and check it out here.

2. What’s your favorite thing about your job?
I love my students.  They are a fun group and some times a challenge.  Of course I love my kids so being home a few days with them is awesome.  I love the creativity outlet of my Etsy shop and lately I have LOVED being part of the process of decorating a new baby's room through custom mobiles I make for customers.

3. What’s your least favorite thing about your job?
It's a job for money and it's a big college so there is paperwork and some politics that aren't a lot of fun to deal with. And it takes me away from my kids and is making me deal with child care issues.  My Etsy shop is a challenge in the fact that I have to self promote and I am slowly learning about that.  Oh and then there's the whole book keeping part... yuck.

4. If you weren’t a teacher, what would you be?
My other love in college was psychology.  So I might have gone that route.  But if all pressures were off and I could have chosen what I really wanted to do and not been practical I would have been an art major.

5. What is something that you would love to get paid for that you think no one would every pay you for?
I am actually doing it right now! I still can not believe that people love my mobiles and ornaments and frames and actually buy them to put in their homes.  It still blows me away.  I am honored when people choose my mobiles for their new babies rooms.

6. If you could have any job for exactly one day, what would it be?
I would love to be a back up singer in a big band like No Doubt for a night at a huge sold out concert.  That would awesome! 

7. If you had to do manual labor, what would you do?
Wow... I have no clue.  I suck at cleaning, yard work and measuring.  So that throws a lot of things out for me.  I'm a decent painter when I take my time but I don't like to do it at all.  I will have to give this one some more thought.

8. What is something you were forced to learn in high school that was supposed to be super important, but you never actually use?
Geometry, algebra, pretty much any math higher than addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.  Even though I actually liked chemistry (thanks to an awesome teacher Mr. Rucker at CHHS) I never use any of that either.

9. Who was your favorite boss?  Why?
I've had the good fortune to have had a few great bosses in my time.  But my most favorite is a guy named Michael who was my boss when I worked at Barnes & Noble in the Cafe as a barista.  I worked with him for almost 3 1/2 years in college and then went back for a Christmas season (and a little longer) after my son Noa was born to make a little extra cash.  He was always fun to work with and never abused his power but was a genuine nice guy who cared and worked with my crazy vacation schedules (but I always brought him back a key chain).  I just liked him and working for him.  He never asked us to do anything he wouldn't and again his sense of humor made working an insane job more tolerable.

10. Where would you rather work: Dunder Mifflin Paper Company (The Office), Wernham Hogg Paper Company (The Office, UK), or Initech (Office Space)?
Hmmmm good question.  I am going to have to go with Initech just because I love that movie so much!  

blog comments powered by Disqus