Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Ten on Tuesday







0.01×10^2. What was your best/worst day in math class?
Best day was in Jr high when I got moved up from the low math class the normal or middle math class. I've always been terrible at math and since I could remember in school I was always in the low math group.  So when I got moved up it was pretty cool!
Worst day .... there are so many.  My learning disability made math hard and I had so many teachers who didn't care or just thought I was dumb.  One particular incident I remember was freshman year in high school in algebra I.  Mrs. Mosley was my teacher and I didn't understand anything so I just faked my way through and when she discovered I hadn't done my homework she called me out in front of the class by saying I couldn't afford not to do my homework with my low test grades.  I was almost painfully shy so that was awful.  I just gave up right then and there on her and math.  I barley squeaked by with a D in class.  I honestly don't know how I passed it at all!!!!

20×10^-1. Who was your favorite/least favorite math teacher? Why?
Well I think my least favorite math teacher should be obvious.  Yes, it's Mrs. Mosley and I went on to have her for algebra II as well.  Honestly all I remember doing to "teach" was sit at the damn overhead and do math problems while half the class slept.  And lets just say she wasn't nice to most people as I recall. The only reason I made it through algebra II was because of a friend of mine let me cheat off him all the time.  A shout out to Jesse Olley where ever he may be!! Thank you for letting me cheat off you!!
My favorite math teacher is a tie.  My sixth grade teacher was awesome all around.  She made me feel smart and normal, where many teachers had not because of my learning disability.  I think she and my special ed. teachers really helped to catch me up in 6th grade so that when I got to 7th grade in Jr high I was doing well.  But I also really remember liking Ms. Bell in Jr. high.  She was the one who thought I needed to be moved up in math.  And I even remember doing homework in her class because I actually understood it.

3×10^0. Is it okay to be bad at math if English is more your thing?
Of course!  English was way more my thing. I never struggled as much with English but I think because I loved to read so much.

0.4×10^1. How does this video make you feel?
Oh man at first I thought it was real!! And I was totally face palming but once I kept watching I just started laughing and think it's hysterical!

500×10^-2. What do you like/not like about math?
There is not much I like about math at all.  In fact I try to avoid it as much as possible.  I DO NOT understand doing sudoku for fun.  It's not fun it's torture.  I guess I would have have to say I like getting the answer right when I do have to do math.

0.006×10^3. What makes someone a nerd?
Well first of all I <3 nerds!  I am married to a big ol nerd.  I am a nerd in several ways too.  To me a nerd is someone who is smart/intellectual and somewhat socially inept.

7×10^0. Who is the nerdiest person you know?
James my hubby.  He loves math & computers.  He thinks it's fun to do math just for fun!  He's smart and watches random science fiction shows like Red Dwarf and loves them.

80×10^-1. What is the nerdiest thing you’ve ever done?
I've seen the original Star Wars movies (A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi) more times than I can count.  If I had to guess I would say I've seen each at least a few hundred times.  If I could get the time and money to go I would totally go to a Star Wars convention.

0.9×10^1. Do you think GraphJam is funny?
Totally think it's funny!

10×10^1. Have you ever used math outside of school?
Yes, I teach & have kids so I have to do math every single day weather it's teaching my students or working on homework with my son.

blog comments powered by Disqus