Pages

Friday, January 9, 2009

The Real World

I love The Real World. I have watched since the very 1st show with Julie, Eric, Becky, Kevin and all the rest (and yes I can name them all I am just sparing you) in New York.


There was nothing like it on TV at that point. Some have said it was the first reality TV show. So maybe that is where I started my reality TV addition! But I was in high school at the time and could relate to Julie and all the things happening to her and the cast. They for the most part were not that much older than myself. Anyway I was hooked and have been ever since. I have watched every season since with out fail.

The new season premiered this week and my Tivo had it waiting for me. So instead of going to bed at a decent hour last night I stayed up and watched the premiere episode of The Real World: Brooklyn.


This season looks like it will be a really good one. But something has changed for me. I still love the show but I have gone from relating to the cast as a peer, to thinking of them like children!!! Oh the horror!!! I guess I have to admit that this started happening a few seasons ago when they were in Denver.
Davis the "gay" one (the very cute blond guy on the left with the yellow shirt) revealed that his mom was very upset by his "choice" to be gay. He broke down and cried and told all about how awful his mom and family had been about his coming out. I was just in tears watching him. And all I could think was how the hell could any mother treat her child that way???? I would never and could never do that to my children. I would be just as proud and happy to have a gay child as a I would to have a straight one. It would not matter a bit to me as long as my child were happy. And all I wanted to do was to reach out to Davis and tell him what a wonderful human being he is and that I would be his mother if he would have me!! So I went from feeling like I could be on The Real World to feeling like I could be the mother of one of the kids on The Real World. Wow I am getting old.

blog comments powered by Disqus