Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ten on Tuesday






1. How did your parents decide on your name?
I know two of the names in the running for me were Phoebe or Heather.  But they ended up with Katherine .... which I love.  Anyway my nick name is Katie and they chose that first from a Joni Mitchell song (I don't know which one and I kinda wish I did).  But I guess my mom liked the idea of a more formal name and then using the nick name Katie.  So Katherine it was.

2. Do your initials (First, Middle, Last) spell out anything fun/funny?
My initials my whole life have been KAP.  Yes my maiden name started with a P and so does my married name.

3. Did you take your middle name from childhood or did you take your maiden name as your middle name? (If unmarried, what do you plan to do?)
I kept my middle name because it's a family tradition and I knew I would give my daughter the same middle name (and I did)!  Besides I thought I would use my maiden name as my daughter's first name  but as it turns it doesn't work well with my husbands last name ... oh well.

4. Are you or will you name your children thematically (ie. same first letter, all of same origin…)
No I didn't do that and never planned to.  Although as a coincidence we have J K M and N now all I need is a 3rd child and use and L name and we then have J K L M N!!  Just kidding!

5. Did you decide on baby names as a little girl? Did you stick to them or change your mind?
Sort of.  Like I said above I always wanted to name my little girl my maiden name (Page).  But it just didn't sound good with my husbands last name.  But I did name her Marley Anne Page.  So I was obnoxious and gave her two middle names. I know one will get dropped one day but it will forever be on her birth certificate and that is what I wanted.

6. Does your family have any names that have been passed down through generations?
Yes, middles names for both girls and boys.  The girl middles name is Anne and the boy middle name is John.  James is also a family name on BOTH sides but there are enough James' to go around already so that's why Noa is Noa and not James.

7. Do you look at the meaning of the name or just the name itself?
I look at the meaning but if I don't like the meaning it doesn't have any weight.  If I loved the name I would still use it regardless of the meaning.

8. Do you name pets with human names (Sally, Henry) or with pet names (Fluffy, Mr. Bo Bo)?
Totally pet names.  I think it's a lot more fun to name pets with pet names than with human names.  I've had cats named Wizard, Cotton ball (yes it was all white), Nike (he had white feet so it looked like he had on shoes), Einstein (that cat was stupid so it was a play on the name), Circe (former owner named her),  and Rio (she was a flood victim cat ... so river in Spanish).  And my dog is named Frodo ... yes we are Lord of the Ring fans.

9. Are there any names that you have an affinity or dislike for based on a childhood experience/someone you once knew?
Yes. My son is named Noa for two reasons.  The first one is my cousin.  My cousin's name is Kanoa (he is Hawaiian ... hence the Hawaiian name) and I love the that name especially when combined with the family middle name John.  Plus I love my cousin.  But I knew I could not saddle my very white Haole (Hawaiian for while person) child with a traditional Hawaiian name.  So when I noticed the end of Kanoa is Noa (also the Hawaiian spelling for Noah) I knew I had my name.  And the second reason is because I knew a little boy named Noah who was so sweet.  My friend Jennie (see my other posts about her here) used to be a nanny and Noah was one of her nanny kids.  Plus when I named Noa,  Noah was not popular ... but just a few years after I named him that, it got very popular grrrrr.

Oh and the Ark jokes really are not funny people!  My son gets so tired of hearing about building an Ark when it rains.

10. What are some of your favorite names? Why?
Well obviously Noa & Marley.  But I've always also liked Page & Piper for girls.  For boys I have always liked Luke.

blog comments powered by Disqus